1. Tortilla Soup, a.k.a. my most favorite soup, and we even made enough to freeze for several more delicious meals.
2. Ghiradelli brownies--that have never actually survived long enough to get a picture. I'm pretty sure I've made one box for every week we've been here. (but don't worry, we shared with friends)
3. Belated birthday with an ice cream cake...yummmmm. Hooray for being older, and so much more mature. :)
3. My first experience making Gregg's famous brown bread by myself. (Gregg is one of my amazing brothers-in-law, and a baker extraordinaire). I even ground my own wheat! And yes, it was divine. I'm not sure how long those loaves will last us...
So apparently, mostly food has made us happy lately, so how about some non-food happiness...
4. New friends! Pittsburgh has to be the friendliest place I have ever been. For example, we bought a desk from some people on Craigslist--next thing you know, we're chatting away and they're inviting us over for a party. Our pharmacist is our neighbor, also very friendly, (only slightly awkward to have your neighbor know your medical issues...hmmm). Every time we go to church I think we average 3 invitations to dinner. I don't remember ever being so social.
5. Verizon's strike ended, which means we have real internet now. Hallelujah! For a while there I thought I was still in Europe.
6. After some serious campaigning, I have landed my dream calling at church--teaching sunbeams. I am thrilled about it! I think 3-4 year-olds and I have a lot in common (a short attention span and the inability to sit still for longer than 10 min.). Plus I get to bring snacks. I'm only slightly kidding about campaigning. :)
7. Shoes that fit. My left foot is currently 1.5 sizes larger than my right foot which makes wearing shoes difficult. I feel like Cinderella's evil step-sisters trying to cram my foot into my regular shoes. But I did find a pair of sandals I can walk mostly normal in--yeah!! Here's to hoping my foot shrinks back to "normal" soon.
8. Fall weather. I'm so excited about autumn here. We have tons of cute little towns all over that do fall festivals, and several Amish communities, so I can't wait to go and see the beautiful fall leaves, home baked goods, and covered bridges. Fall also means pumpkin cookies and pumpkin rolls! And now that I'm back to food, I think I'll end there.
3 comments:
Alyse! You and your feet stories crack me up :). I'm glad you guys are loving it there. We want to come visit Pittsburgh sometime this fall and would love to stop by and say hi while we're there. Would that be alright? We could even bring pumpkin cookies as bribery :)
p.s. Could I pretty please get that recipe for the yummy wheat bread?
From personal experience, I can attest that Sunbeams IS the best calling. I was in heaven in West Lafayette. Hurray for you!!
Yum on the brownies and cakes. And hooray for freezing meals. I've just started to do that more.
We miss you guys so much, but we were glad to see Carlos briefly! Next time everyone will have to join. :)
Post a Comment