I've had this stuck in my head since I heard it, so I wanted to share. Quoting President Monson's talk on gratitude from Sunday morning:
"We've all experienced times when our focus is on what we lack, rather than on our blessings. Said the Greek philosopher Epictetus: 'He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.'"
Quoting Pres. Joseph F. Smith: "The grateful man sees so much in the world to be thankful for, and with him the good outweighs the evil. Love overpowers jealousy, and light drives darkness out of his life... Pride destroys our gratitude and sets up selfishness in it's place. How much happier we are in the presence of a grateful and loving soul; and how careful we should be to cultivate, through the medium of a prayerful life, a thankful attitude toward God and man."
Focusing on what we lack makes us miserable. We become selfish and self-absorbed and ignore the blessings we have been given. We lose our ability to help and serve others around us, which are our opportunities to feel joy. Obsessing over what we don't have will not bring those things to us any sooner, but it tries our patience, dims our hope, and weakens our faith. As we humble ourselves and pray in thanksgiving for our many blessings can the Lord heal our hearts. Even if our prayers are not answered in the way or in the time frame that we feel they should, we can know that our prayers are heard and we can look around in awe at all the wonderful blessings we have been given. (All of these "we's" should be replaced with "I's," but I never did like the pronoun "I.") These quotes pricked my heart, and I consider myself rightfully chastised. As I look around I ask myself "what right do I have to ever be unhappy or complain?"
"Why should we mourn, or think our lot is hard? 'Tis not so; all is right.
Why should we think to earn a great reward, if we now shun the fight?
Gird up your loins; fresh courage take. Our God will never us forsake;
And soon we'll have this tale to tell-- All is well! All is well!"
That's one reason I love general conference--it gives us the chance to evaluate ourselves and strive to be better for the next six months until the next conference. This is also probably why I've had a song stuck in my head every night when I can't sleep: "Count your blessings, instead of sheep."
No comments:
Post a Comment