Thursday, June 14, 2012

When the elephant in the room is you...or your belly


These are a few of the top belly comments I've heard lately. Not all of these were directed at me, but I find them all pretty funny. Also, I don't recommend saying these to anyone, ever.

-"You look really uncomfortable. How much longer DO you have?"
-"You have such a cute pregnant waddle."
-"Mom, don't wear that shirt, people MIGHT think you're expecting a baby." (the 7 yr. old said to his mom who is 7 mo. along)
-"You're right; you are getting rather large."

and my personal favorite...
-"Wow, you're just popping out all over!"

In talking to my sister Annie about these hilarious comments (that I'm sure will become more frequent in the next couple of months) we decided that the go to response should be an enthusiastic "You too!" So next time someone compliments you on your waddle, or tells you that you're "popping out all over," just say "you too!" with a great big smile and see how they handle it. Because really, what else could you say?

Do you think that people who say these things realize afterward just how inappropriate they are? Can't we all just agree to never, ever, ever, EVER comment about someone else's body? Is it really that hard to resist?

What are your favorite belly comments?



P.S. I'm not at all offended by these comments. They always leave me laughing, or biting my lip so I don't laugh. I've worked and prayed long and hard to have this belly, you had better bet I'm proud of it and grateful for it. I just can't believe what people come up with sometimes.


8 comments:

Lindsay said...

hahaha i love it! i would love to see a picture of your cute pregnant belly that's "popping out all over!" Just wait till you're NOT pregnant anymore and your kids are asking you why your belly is still so big, when the baby already came out?!

Anonymous said...

I really, really didn't like when people touched my belly.

But I bet you could have guessed that. :)

Annegirl said...

Haha! Brilliant!! I also loved, "You look healthy." What does THAT mean? Like a horse? Ah well. In GA they have parking stalls for expectant mothers--at least the bump comes with some perks!

Annegirl said...

I just remembered... this guy in my ward used to quack at me when I walked by. Seriously. He meant it as a joke, but it was only about 15% funny at the time.

R and A Lambert said...

Not directed at me, but a girl I know: someone from church told her she was having a boy b/c her butt cheeks were spreading apart. The best part is she didn't even know she was pregnant yet and is the tiniest girl.

At me, "How many are you carrying?"

Heather said...

I like, "Did you swallow a basketball" or, "How many ARE there in there?" and of course, "You're huge! You must be due any day!" Said when you still have 2 months to go. gotta love it! Hang in there Alyse!

Stephanie said...

I was introduced to some man at work who came up to shake my hand. I was about 3 weeks from having a baby, but I guess he couldn't tell I was pregnant until I stood up from behind my desk. As soon as he saw my stomach, he quickly retracted his hand and refused to shake my hand! I stood there with my hand outstretched for a good five seconds, hoping he would come to his senses and stop looking at me like I was some kind of alien. He never did. It was terribly uncomfortable for everyone in the room.

Other than that, the last few weeks are SUPER fun because every week at church, I'd get about a hundred of these: "Still no baby?!!" By the last week I wanted to punch someone in the face when I heard that.

Julianne said...

I hate people when I am pregnant.

I just hate them all.

Except nice people who have common sense to say NOTHING or tell me how lovely I look.