Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Family Rules

Carlos and I have talked a lot about how we want to raise our kids. Of course we fully expect them to be PERFECT after how long we've had to wait and what we've gone through. I'm sure that's how it works, right???

Anyway, we've talked a lot about how we were raised, the rules that our parents had, the rules our siblings use with their children, and what on earth we're going to do when we have our own little darlings running around. What rules/traditions will we pass on? Which ones will come from his family versus mine? And how will we come up with our own?

I know my family had a lot of traditions (I say traditions because they weren't exactly hard rules, but we were expected to follow them), that others thought were strange or too strict. But what I'm curious to know is what traditions/rules your families had, and what you decided to continue with your own families. How did you compromise with your husbands' family traditions?

Here are a few examples I remember from my family that others thought were weird:

-Sunday dress: we were expected to wear Sunday clothes all day on Sunday (at least a comfortable skirt), and tights/nylons were required at church.

-No sleep overs. Once in a blue moon could we sleep at a friend's house, or even a cousin's.

-No Barbie dolls. We could play with skippers, but not Barbies.

-Modesty--skirts/shorts did not come above our knees. I don't think I even owned any shorts in high school (which is saying something since we lived in AZ). And I'm pretty sure my older sister had to wear a t-shirt underneath her sleeveless cheer uniform--and I'm not talking a Shade under shirt--I mean a full on baggy t-shirt that looked slightly ridiculous. (I think that one eased up though?)

-Food/Candy. We had as much food/candy whenever we wanted.  I think there is candy in almost every drawer at my parents' house. We were surrounded by it--but because of that, we never ate much of it, still don't (but our friends loved it). Mom's kitchen was never closed. If we were hungry, we could eat. There was never a limit on "only 2 rolls" or "1 cookie each." My mom cooked and baked in mass, so there was never a fear of running out--even with 8 kids, and all of their friends. (Mom always made sure we offered any visiting friends popcorn, brownies, ice cream, cookies, a large drink, AND candy--all in large portions).

Those are just a few of our many quirks from everyday life. I really don't know what I'll do the same or differently with my children. Carlos and I had similar upbringings, but no two families are the same. His family had very different expectations at home than mine, different traditions, different foods, and different ways of disciplining. I'm sure we'll figure out many more differences along the way and have to compromise. I can hear myself already: "why would you do that? Don't do it that way!" (Cue discussion on there being more than one right way).

So, what rules/traditions did your families' have? What did you carry on? And I'm especially curious...how did you learn to compromise with your spouse?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure I slept over at your house with a bunch of other girls...either that or it was a reallllllllllly late viewing of Somewhere in time.

THE ICE CREAM! I remember the ice cream.

:)

Annegirl said...

I love this blog! We must be related because in my family nylons were definitely required, we never had sleepovers, and shorts above the knee were unheard of. We also had a lot of sweets around our house, and I've found that helped me in some weird reverse way, too. Besides, how could you be a Jacob without your standard fair of ice cream after (almost) every meal? =) And I love Marianne. Bless her!

I haven't felt like I've had to make too many compromises with Dan yet over raising our little 5 month old, but I'm sure they're coming. All I can think is that we'll handle them the same way we handle compromising over other things: talk about what is important to each person (and HOW important it is), and find our mutual ground while respecting the other person's opinions and how they were brought up. That's my rather inexperienced two cents. I'm sure you guys will be fabulous! I absolutely love your sweet family and I'm sure Carlos's is awesome, as well.

Kayli said...

The wearing church clothes all Sunday was a rule that was talked about but almost never followed in our house. Nowadays, I've become a rebel, and the first thing I do when I walk inside the house after church is to change into some comfy clothes (usually pajama/sweats type stuff).

Also no sleepovers in our house.

But the rule that blows me out the water is that you could have all the candy/stuff you wanted. I would have LOOOOVED having you for a friend when I was young- and I would have insisted on always coming to your house. Not that we didn't have lots of treats, we did, but there was generally a limit and it was hardly ever candy.

As far as making rules for your kids... well, it's good you're thinking about it, because some things come so gradually you just go with the flow instead of thinking it out. I know you guys will do great!

Lindsay said...

Lots of the same rules at my house...We must be related :) Ironically, sabbath day observance was one of the biggest disagreements we had when we were first married. Kenny's family was pretty relaxed about it. But when we talked about what the sabbath day means to us and what we want it to mean to our children, he quickly realized that it's better to be weird in the "too strict" side than to be too casual about it. So that's how we resolved it. And I got lucky because his family didn't really have many consistent traditions, even though they always did fun things. Plus I'm usually the one who makes a big deal out of traditions/holidays and he doesn't. But I think you just work things out as you go and it's so much fun to come up with your own family things that is unique for you guys. and the rest of "my family's tradition" vs. "your family's" just nicely and naturally evolves to "our family", and "this is what WE do". ya know? I have no doubt you guys will figure it out. I am so so happy for you and this baby!

Mike and Mylinda Stone said...

I am so so excited for you! The whole rules and traditions thing really does just kind of evolve. Talk about why you're doing something and the how is the result. One thing I like to recommend to new parents is to never tell your kids what foods you dislike so that you won't taint their view of it before they even try it. You know we are not too far away and would love a visit from you all anytime you want to come see DC. Also, we are planning an Andersen family cousins get together around the 24th of July at Joseph Andersens place. If you are interested, let me know and I'll send details as they come.