I've never used myself, or at least not my body, as an object lesson before, but here it goes. As of tomorrow I am 7-weeks post surgery, which means only one more week until I can officially walk on my left leg again (guilt free, since I technically already am--but shhhh! Don't tell.) I wish I had taken a picture earlier when the difference was more apparent, but here are my disfigured and horribly unevenly sized legs...
I was amazed at how quickly muscle deteriorates. (I've never had a broken bone or a cast before, so this is all new to me). Two-weeks post-op I got my cast off and my left leg was literally half the size of my right (which also deteriorated from little use). That really made me think about how important it is to use our muscles everyday. Not only do we need to exercise physically, but also mentally and spiritually. How quickly do our minds and spirits deteriorate from lack of use? It's a sobering thought everyday when I take my large boot off and see my leg--I don't want my brain or my spirit to shrivel up from not exercising them. Today I tried to do some simple leg exercises and it was exhausting. I have a long road ahead of me to get back in shape. How do you stay fit everyday--physically, mentally, and spiritually?
1 comment:
You had surgery!? What happened? I hope you're feeling better! Good luck with the rehabilitation of that leg/foot!
Post a Comment