Friday, June 17, 2011

Luxembourg Marathon

Last Saturday Carlos ran in the Luxembourg Marathon. This was his 3rd marathon but the first since we've been married. I was excited to go and cheer him on. This is him at the finish line just a few hours before the race. (It was a night race--beginning at 7:00 p.m.)


Just before the race:

There were 8,000 runners but only 1,500 doing the whole marathon.

Action shot:

It was a gorgeous night in Luxembourg. I had fun wandering around the city trying to get to the next point on the race to see/embarrass Carlos as much as possible...


Running along, happy as can be...


At around 30km the runners had to run down and along, then back up this beautiful ravine in the middle of the city (did I mention I was glad not to be running???)

I got lost trying to get back to the finish line in time (Alyse following directions in French = not a good idea), so I missed the big finish (sad day) but I'm glad they took a picture of it--he's still smiling!

30 minutes after the race when we finally found each other, and he's still alive, but very cold. He finished in 4:12--very good for only training a couple of months after a 6 year reprieve!

I am a mighty proud wife! He's already planning a couple more marathons in the next few months. I'd say he's crazy, but he made it look so easy. :)

Fun facts/thoughts about Luxembourg:
1. It's much more fun to say in Portuguese. Go ahead, try it: "Luxemborgo!" (the "x" makes a "sh" sound)
2. It has 3 official languages: French, German, and Luxembourgish.
3. It's smaller than Rhode Island (51 miles long and 35 miles wide).
4. Luxembourg is like a fairy tale land. If I were a painter/artist, it is exactly what I would paint/draw. When I said this to anyone from there they said: "It's true. It's too good to be real, it's all a facade." 

It was a short trip, but I was so excited to get to Switzerland, I didn't mind. Next installment, coming soon.

4 comments:

Amy Rose said...

Way to go Carlos!

Tami Allred said...

What ambition and dedication. Impressive and what a beautiful place to be!

Annegirl said...

Love that last picture =)

Michelle said...

Alyse, I spent the last 4 months of my mission in Luxembourg, so it was fun for me to read this post. I spent so much time walking those streets. I'm glad you got to visit. It is a beautiful place. I'm sure Carlos got to speak Portuguese with a bunch of people. Someone told me that about half the population speaks Portuguese which I completely believe. Way to go, Carlos, for running a marathon! That's awesome.