Saturday, June 4, 2011

Just a few reasons why I love Italy...

The history...


Architecture...


Art...
(our version of a more modest David)


Colors...
(Ponte Vecchio bridge in Florence)

Gelato! (not pictured--sorry, it never lasted long enough to actually get a picture!)



 Science...
(Galileo's tomb)

Sites...
(such a tourist, so embarrassing!) :)

Views...
(from the top of the leaning tower of Pisa)

Food, oh glorious food!
(the most amazing pizza in Pisa! I swore I wouldn't, but I confess--I ate the WHOLE thing!!!)

my own 1/2 Italian man...
(and I may have helped him finish his pizza too)

More food
(Tortellini that would make Carlos' grandmother proud)

and let's not forget the very romantic Tuscan sunsets...

Yes, a vacation in paradise, a.k.a. Italy. And of course, as with all of our trips...we LOVED it!

Last Friday Carlos finished his first year of his program--oh happy day! To celebrate we planned a rather last minute trip to Tuscany. We flew into Rome and to appease my desire to see more of the eternal city (or at least get better pictures than last time), we spent a couple hours walking around to visit the Colosseum and find some dinner. 
We then took a train up to Florence and spent a couple days enjoying absolutely everything about the city (mostly their food, gelato, and Italian Ice!). We visited the Accademia, Uffizi Gallery, Pitti Palace, Galileo Museum, the Duomo Museum, went to church, ate the most delicous pastas and gelatos, and enjoyed sunsets on the bridges of the Arno River. Carlos loved running up and down the hills outside of the city for beautiful views of the Tuscan hills all around us. I really wanted to rent a moped and cruise around the hills and smaller villages outside the city (since I do not--or will not, run) but Carlos (always so wise) didn't feel comfortable driving there--and I would have but didn't bring my license. Boo. (Granted, I should be the one uncomfortable with driving, but don't tell him I said so). 
We spent half a day in Pisa, which we also loved. We visited the "Field of Miracles" where the Tower of Pisa is (along with the Duomo and Baptistry that you never seem to see). We each ate an entire pizza and of course, more gelato for dessert. 
The next day we took a train to Bologna where we wandered the city streets for a while, saw the oldest university in the world, the University of Bologna (continuously used since 1088), and enjoyed another fabulous lunch (you can't go wrong with the Bolognese in Bologna). 
I'm so glad that we went back to Italy. Last August when we went it was so hot and crowded (Note: do not go to Italy in August), but the weather now in May was gorgeous and the crowds were few. This was our favorite area of Italy--I really hope we get to go back one day (then I'll get to ride the moped!)

***In unrelated news, Carlos is running a marathon in 7 days, we get to see the Bells in 8 days!!!, and I am going home in 17 days!!! How is it June already?

5 comments:

Kim Davis said...

Your travels are so exciting! I love reading about them...I wish you could bottle up the food and it back!

Amy Rose said...

You forgot to mention that you love Italy because you look so pretty there.

I've always wanted to see Italy. Someday, someday.

Liz said...

I think I say this every time I leave a comment, but I am VERY Jealous! So beautiful! Italy is one of those places I have always wanted to go!

Tami Allred said...

I totally giggled at the Gelato part. I so get that. When we were there. We had it three times in one day and we weren't embarrassed to admit that. Love your photos. What Fun and tell Carlos good luck at the race.

Heather said...

What a fun time for you guys. I hope you have loved every minute of it. Wish we could have come and seen you! Loved your Leaning Tower tourist photo. You staged it perfectly! By the way, where does all that pizza go? Perhaps you have fat toes and it all gets stored down there!