Thursday, April 29, 2010

Packing

Last night at 10:00 Carlos decided that we needed to do a "practice pack" for our move to Europe to see just how much we can fit in 4 suitcases. Despite all of my protests, he insisted. So, we did. Apparently I was taking it way too seriously because at first I tried to "pack" the stuff that I actually want to bring--durable clothes that don't require ironing, dry fast without a drier, versatile to wear with several outfits, and appropriate clothing for the climate throughout the year. I was trying to figure out how many short sleeve vs. long sleeve, pants vs. capris, dressy vs. casual, winter vs. summer pajamas, etc. By the end I just grabbed what was easiest to pack and put back without having everything get wrinkled. I threw as many clean clothes as I could into the suitcase, trying to leave enough room for odds and ends that I know I want to bring (medicine, first aid kit, Brita, makeup, my favorite blanket, our computer, etc). Well, turns out you really can't fit all that much in a suitcase--especially when there's a violin case inside of it. (I think that was the point of the exercise, for me to realize) Huh. After I finished unpacking (quick trip!) I turned to Carlos and said--"wow, honey, I need to go shopping as soon as we get there!" I think the plan backfired. :)

If you're packing for an entire year to go to Europe, and you only get two suitcases, what would you bring?

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I couldn't go without my camera and a laptop :) Good luck with that! That would be so hard!

Liz said...

Just pretend you are a missionary! I'm sure you can get a copy of the packing list! :)

Ok- I'm just kidding. Have you thought about shipping stuff? Although it might actually be cheaper just to buy stuff there.

kate said...

I'm sooo glad J hasn't tried to pull this one on me! :)
But very very funny story! :)Love you!

Tami Allred said...

Smart Girl!! Go get yourself a new wardrobe :-)

Mike and Mylinda Stone said...

Well, none of your electronics will work there anyway and there are usually people leaving who will try to sell you all of their European stuff. So just take the bare necessities, buy what you need when you get there, and sell it before you leave. Have fun, I'm so jealous.