Monday, December 15, 2008

Monday, Monday

Growing up in AZ, I always felt bad for those "crazy people" who lived in cold climates. Well, since I've moved to Indiana--I have learned one of their cold-weather secrets. The phenomenon known here as the "2 Hour Delay." Most people probably know about this, but for an Arizonan, this was truly eye opening--when the weather is cold/bad enough, you get to go to school 2 hours later! It's probably just as well that I didn't know about this growing up. I don't recall ever being let out of school 2 hours early, even when it was over 120 degrees outside. No concern for the blistering burns we'd inevitably get riding our bikes/cars home from school. Riding your bike with no hands wasn't only showing off--it was a necessity. Driving with only your thumb and pointer finger on the steering wheel was an art. Fastening your seat belt--forget it! 2nd degree burns, at least! I recognize that driving in the ice/snow is very dangerous, in fact, I hate it--but driving with 2 fingers and no seat belt isn't exactly safe either.
Now that I am a "crazy cold climate person" I relish my 2 hour delays. So this morning when I received the surprise text message--I was more than happy to roll over and go back to sleep. It's not every day you can stroll into work at a quarter past 10. Not bad for a Monday.

5 comments:

Lara said...

What better day to go into work late than on a Monday! I wish people here in Utah would catch a bit of the "start everything 2 hours late" fever. Sometimes I really miss being in Washington state where they cancel school for THE WHOLE DAY if there is even 2 inches of snow!

Liz said...

I used to love school delays when I was growing up! It's even better than school being cancelled completely because you don't have to make it up at the end of they year!

Jenn said...

I kept hotpads in my car so I could drive in the summer. We had an old '71 Ford Torino, so everything was metal - ignition, gear shift, seat belts - at least the seats weren't leather though. You lose layers of skin that way! I'm glad you are enjoying the snow delays, you've earned 'em by now.

Mbeth said...

i miss those days. i'd get up and watch the news when we got snow and wait for "Oldham County School District" to run across the bottom of the screen. good times.

Julianne said...

Boo for this horrible cold weather. It was -6 yesterday morning when we got up. Today it has reached a whopping 11 degrees. Mm, so toasty!