Sunday, August 3, 2008

Never Say "Never"

When Carlos and I were dating we used to have conversations about where we would want to live. This ended up turning into a "well, I could live anywhere, except..." then list a few places that we never thought we could enjoy living. Topping my list was:

1. San Francisco
2. Chicago
3. Boston, and
4. New York City

Well, I think Carlos wanted to teach me a lesson because in the short 2 years that we have been married we have lived at least very near the first 3 of these cities (3 out of 4, I think that is statistically significant), and have spent ample time in them. And so, with that, the time has come for me to eat some humble pie. And before I end up moving to New York, I have to admit that (to my dismay) I have LOVED living near each of these cities. Each has it's own beauty, unique attractions, and wonderful people. Yes, I admit that I would love to live near any of these cities. But, now that I know about his game of reverse psychology--the next time he asks me where I want to live, I now know how to respond: "I could live anywhere...except Never in Hawaii, or San Diego, or especially Never near our families! (Maybe then we'll actually get to move there!)

11 comments:

Tricia A. said...

How true it is that we can find happiness and friendship wherever we might live. Good luck moving and driving back to Indy this week. Maybe some day we'll close to each other!

J n Bee said...

ALyse!
Hey! I can't believe you found me and I you. How exciting to see you and your husband so cute together. Are you really moving to New York? I would love to come see you. I'm excited to be able to read your blog!
Feel free to check out ours as well.
love you!
Brooke
jnbee.blogspot.com

Elise said...

Hey! I love your blog. I'm excited to live semi-close to you guys :). Tell Liz Maxfield "hi" for me!

Mbeth said...

funny how that happens, utah use to be on my list...

Spencer & Suzy said...

Holy cow- I just cruised through your first few posts and saw that you did a church history tour. We are literally 30 min. from Kirtland (that's our stake center). We totally could have had you over for dinner! Let me know if you'll be passing through this way on your return trip from Boston (which, by the way, sounds like a blast!). Glad to see you are doing so well!

Misty said...

that's funny! and hopefully you'll make it to one of those other places on your next Never list!

Meghan said...

Oh, how funny! But I don't know why you wouldn't want to live in those cities... they're all amazing places! Looks like you learned your lesson :)

Julianne said...

Ha, I am so a "I'll NEVER live..." person! And now I've lived in both places that I said " never" to -- Utah and Idaho! I married a boy from Idaho, for heaven's sake! I think God has a funny sense of humor...

So glad you have a bloggie! Keep updating, love love!

Kristi Sue Fulton said...

I must admit, I'm jealous. Your 'never' list is places I've always wanted to go.

And it's been said by other people, but Utah was on my list. In our struggle to figure out what job Clayton should take, it really came down to us saying, "If this job was in any other place besides Utah, we would be SO excited about it and take it in a minute." So here we are.

Lara said...

Isn't life ironic? Maybe I had better revise my "never" list, it is pretty long; Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri, Georgia, Florida, those are my top 10. I don't really have anything against those places, it is mostly because I HATE being hot and I don't want to live in hurricane territory :)

Lindsay said...

Hey! I'm glad we found each other on here! It's fun to read about all your adventures!
Could you give me your dad's e-mail address and phone number? I know that's an odd question. But I'm in a Law class and I'm supposed to interview a lawyer. I thought he'd be a good one :).