This last week Carlos and I have been enjoying the artistic novelties that Boston has to offer. Last Saturday we drove over to Tanglewood to see John Williams conduct the Boston Pops for film night. We loved it. They played the themes from Hook, Sabrina, and my personal favorite "The Raider's March" from Indiana Jones. It was incredible to see John Williams, and Steven Spielberg came to narrate the second half of the performance. Oh yes, we have now made it big.
Carlos, next to the stage during intermission.
On Monday, Carlos and I went to a local "pick-up" Orchestra and Choir. They have this every Monday night here, where a guest conductor and soloists come, and anyone from the community can participate. Last week it was Mozart's Requiem. Carlos went by himself, and loved it. This week Carlos played and I attempted to sing Brahm's Requiem (yes, in German). So, this probably wasn't a good idea since neither of us had seen the music before. Honestly, I was in way over my head. :) Carlos played beautifully. We both had a blast though. Everyone was asking "what choir are you in?" "Umm, my church choir?!?" They were all so sweet (and on average at least 20-30 years older than us), but they were all insistent that we come back next week. We'll see. :)
Wednesday I went to the Museum of Fine Art (MFA) in Boston with my friend Liz. (free on Wed. after 4:00!) It was incredible. That place was so big, it was overwhelming. You can see a lot of it online: (http://www.mfa.org/index.asp), though I recommend going if you ever come to Boston. What hit us the most when we went was the small similarities between each culture--especially the ancient cultures. Most of their artwork was created for religious purposes, and they were often very similar. Each culture seemed to have small bits of truth in them that had become skewed. It was a testimony to me that we had the true gospel in the beginning, though most of it was lost. That really makes you reflect on the importance of the scriptures and modern day revelation. Where would we be without it?
Also, I felt so blessed to live in a time when the fullness of the gospel has been restored. In this history of the world very few people have had this opportunity, and we cannot take that for granted. We have everything we need to know, yet how well do we understand it? How much do we study it? And more importantly--how well do we live it?
4 comments:
It sounds like you are having too much fun. All artsy and such. Looks fun! I didn't realize that you had a blog. Fun to see you and hear how things are!
I love your thoughts about ancient cultures and the gospel. It really is interesting to see how pieces of the gospel made it into many of their religious beliefs and culture. And by the way, I am SO jealous that you got to see John Williams! He is one of my favorite modern composers.
Sounds like your summer has been a blast. mine mostly consisted of looking for an apartment and a very exotic trip to Idaho Falls. we did get season to tickets to the scera outdoor theatre-I don't know if the plays you went to can compare in quality, but im sure they were good too. :)
I haven't gotten to look through all of it yet, but I love your blog! You have done so much in the past few weeks! Again, we can't wait to see you again! Keep up the great blog!
Post a Comment