For Hazel, who really is my favorite future niece-in-law.
I love names. I love discussing names and hearing others' ideas for names. I know a lot of people don't want to reveal their names or surprise everyone when the baby is born. That is NOT how my family is. My family loves to talk about names, fight over names, give recommendations (or warnings)--you name it. (that was a horrible pun, sorry) But we are all very involved in the name picking, and I've always loved that. I've helped my sisters pick out names for their kids (darling ones, I might add), and always felt closer to them in the process. And it's fun to refer to the baby by its name before birth, instead of just calling it, it. So it makes me sad when people won't even discuss it, but I've come to respect that. (as long as they don't steal my names). :) Actually, I think it's fun to share names, as long as you don't have the same last name. I have a cousin with my name, and I always thought that was so cool. So steal away.
You'd think naming twin girls would be a dream come true, but I've actually found it very stressful. Siblings names need to flow together, but twins' names will almost always be said together--so they really do need to go together, but not match too much. I've been having more fun coming up with twin names that I'd never actually consider together:
Elizabeth and Darcy
Meg and Jo
Remy and Juliette
Brooklyn and London
Holly and Ivy
Kennedy and Reagan
Minnie and Daisy
Okay, I'll stop. I realize everyone has their own naming style. Some poor kid in my ward is named Xyz....something with at least 12 more letters, and if I remember right, includes California in it? For a girl. I'll give them points for creativity. I prefer more formal, old fashioned names. That might be boring to some, but they're respectable, and mostly easy to spell and pronounce. Here is a list of names that either have been or are currently on my list. Hopefully Carlos can find at least two he likes. :) He hasn't seen this list yet--surprise, honey! I like too many girls' names, perhaps we'll give each of them 3 or 4.
Adele
Adrianna
Amelie
Annie
Aubrey/Audrey
Celeste
Charlotte
Elizabeth
Emy (that was before I was married, it would never work with our last name)
Eve
Felicity/Joy
Kate
Liesel
Mercy (I loved her character in The Witch from Blackbird Pond all growing up)
Phoebe
Ruby (only because I loved how Elder Haight always talked about "my Ruby," this one's already been vetoed though)
Ruth (I've never met a Ruthie I didn't like, and they always had rosy cheeks)
Savannah/Susannah
I'm open to other names too, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. What would you name twin daughters? What are other pairs of names that should never go together?
If they're not both girls, we're in big trouble. We can't agree on any boys' names, so let's just hope they really are both girls.
9 comments:
If I had a girl right this instant, I'd name her Jane. And if I had a girl in 20 years, I'd name her Jane. Joe would have been a Jane if he'd have been a girl. I love love love the name Jane.
Speaking of "Holly and Ivy", my neighbor's name is Holly, and their fifth daughter is named Ivy. For real!
Their daughter's names are Mariah, Ruth, Lindsay, Cora and Ivy.
And of course, the name Annie is one of our favorites. I STILL love her name, after all this time (we picked her name out like 2 seconds after we got married).
Thanks for letting us contribute to the name game! TWIN GIRLS! Ahhh Alyse!!!
If we ever have twin girls I have told Ray they will be named after each of our grandmothers--Betty and Wilma. =)
I will offer to you a most beautiful combination though...Amy and Lee. Perfect.
And like Jan, in our ward there is a dad named Isaac and his first born is Jacob. But...you're having girls...so I wouldn't suggest those names for them.
I love Jane, it's a classic. My little sister just named her youngest Jane though, so that won't fly. Whenever I hear the name Mariah I think of the song "They Call The Wind Mariah," but that's the only line I remember from the song, so it drives me crazy. Annie is my sister's name, so I've always loved it too, and as much as she's done for me these last few months, I should be naming BOTH babies Annie! Betty and Wilma works, as long as you also have a Pebbles. :) Isaac is one of our favorite names, and I have a cousin named Isaac Jacob, so there you go!
Out of your list, I love Mercy and Liesel the best. And I LOOOOVE The Witch of Blackbird Pond! :)
I have two girl names picked out for if I ever have another girl, but they're not classic, respectable names, so you probably wouldn't be interested in them.
Did you know Gigi and Craig in Indiana? Their little girl was named Bergen and I was instantly in love.
The other name is Islee (as in rhymes with Rylee).
A friend of mine just had a baby and named her Wren. I thought that was pretty cute.
Thanks for sharing your names!!! It made me happy! And when Hazel gets home from school I'll show her. :)
I wish Carlos would go for Mercy, but it's highly doubtful. My family thought I was crazy when I suggested it. My dad's always said the phrase "oh mercy!" as his quasi-swear word (as opposed to when he actually swore). :) But I love it. I'm still trying to talk Carlos into Liesel. I dated a guy in college whose last name was Bergen, but spelled differently, so that would be a little weird. I like Islee, it's very cute. I think you need to have two more girls--you should talk Brett into that right away.
Those are all really great names! (I even think Meg and Jo are actually really cute and I love Little Women!)
Charlotte and Savannah could go together as two cities :).
My oldest daughter's middle name is Annevieve. I almost wish I'd saved it for a first name because I love it so much! And then you could call her Annie for short. So yeah, I think Charlotte and Annevieve go together nicely.
Congrats!
At least one of your choices is a no brainer, though. Charlotte all the way!
I will be referring back to this list if I ever have another girl. I love these names! Favorite names are definitely Amelie, Charlotte, and Kate. Too bad you're not having triplets. :)
Annevieve is very pretty. It sounds very southern to me. Charlotte is, of course, a given. And Steph, I'll leave the triplets to you. Amelie was the name of a 95 year old Argentinian lady in our ward in Pittsburgh who was one of the most fascinating people I've ever met. I love her name. Choices, choices!
Post a Comment