Monday, March 7, 2011

Street Wise

By seeing London, I have seen as much of life as the world can show. -Samuel Johnson


We just got back from London, and I can safely say that it's still my favorite city in all of Europe. I love Great Britain for many reasons--not the least of which is their clever wit and their way with words. The dry humor of the British is great. During this visit I got the biggest kick out of their street signs. Here are a few of my favorites...
"Give Way" just sounds so much nicer than "yield."


"Way out" is another favorite. I never really have liked the word "exit." I don't know why, it just seems so ugly in big red letters above every door.


The classic: 
much better than "watch your step." I think I'm going to use the word "mind" much more often now. "'Mind your manners.' 'Yes, mind your mattles!'" (10 points if you can name that movie).


I think this last one was my most favorite, and unfortunately I didn't get a picture, so I had to find one on the web. I just love the positive spin it puts on a not-so-positive situation...



Everyone needs a little diversion every once in a while.

2 comments:

Charity said...

Thats so great that you two get to do all this touring of Europe! I've just been catching up on your blog and I'm loving your story of meeting Carlos :) I can't wait for the rest of it.
Love you!

Lara said...

Disney's Robin Hood - 10 points! I love London (well all of Great Britain) as well. I could probably spend at least a month there and still feel like I didn't fit it all in.