Friday, January 7, 2011

Frankfurt

Our last stop was in Frankfurt, Germany. (Liz, I thought of you the entire time). We stayed at the temple housing for one night before heading back to Lisbon. We loved going to the temple there, again, the people were all so sweet. We only had a few hours to tour the city, but it was so cold I wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway. It was our coldest stop yet.

Outside the Frankfurt, Germany temple. It's a beautiful temple, a lot like Chicago but much smaller. (Note to self--ear muffs are NOT attractive, but useful)

Downtown Frankfurt. I was wearing 5 layers of clothes and was still frozen. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy. Most were wearing sweaters and relatively light jackets and were just fine. What can I say--once a desert rat, always a desert rat. The buildings were beautiful though. I think most of the city was destroyed during WWII--most of these buildings were bombed and had to be rebuilt.

On the banks of the Main River in Frankfurt. Carlos has much thicker skin than I do. I love the tall church towers. It was so fun to see them all throughout the cities in Germany and Austria.

At the Goethe Haus and Museum. Very cool. This was a Martin Luther version of the German Bible. Also way cool!

Just after this we headed back to the airport and a few hours later we arrived in Lisbon. We're now back to our 60 degree weather (perfect winter weather, if you ask me) and our own apartment. What a wonderful trip!

A few things I learned:

1) German is a very cool language, and I think I'm going to start saying "ya" all the time.

2) My new favorite accent is Germans speaking English. Seriously. Go and listen to one of Pres. Uchtdorf's talks and you will agree with me.

3) Going to church all over the world is a wonderful experience, but I already said that.

4) Sauerkraut in small portions, with large amounts of meat, isn't so bad.

5) Most places do not accept credit cards, so bring cash.

6) Apple juice in Germany is the best. Same story with Frankfurters. (I guess they're called that for good reason)

7) Subway's foot-longs in Vienna are not $5.

8) The Viennese know how to dance--really dance.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Wahoo! I got a shout out on your blog! :) I am so jealous! I miss Germany. What a great trip!

Tami Allred said...

I want to travel with you two. You seem to know how to do it right.