Tuesday, December 7, 2010

some things

1. I'm legal now. I can no longer threaten to deport myself, which I guess is a good thing. Carlos and I went in yesterday to apply for my residency card. Overall, the experience wasn't too bad after we got in the door. However, while waiting in line outside we feared for our lives (not kidding) in the stampede to try to get inside. Carlos and I were near the front of the line but minutes before the security guard came to open the door, there was a mad rush and everyone was trying to push their way to the front. Carlos and I were smashed against the front window--Carlos felt the glass bending, and we were both praying it wouldn't break on us. Everyone around us was angry and yelling and fighting over who got there first, it was ridiculous. (I was also praying no one had any weapons, because we were not in a position to get away--right in the thick of things--and we kind of stand out here). Gotta love the mob mentality. I'm just glad we don't have to go back there. At least, I hope we don't.

2. I made "brownies" for my Portuguese class last night. We all decided we wanted to have a party and bring foods from our own countries. I debated about what I could bring that would represent "America"--Apple pie? Cinnamon rolls? Steak and potatoes? (Let's be honest, I like my class, but not enough to make them any of those) McDonalds? (That's just mean). In the end I only had time to make brownies--but they were from scratch. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but the last time I made brownies from scratch was in high school at a friend's house--and they ended up turning blue (because we added a few too many M&Ms) and nobody wanted to eat them. True story. I haven't dared make brownies without a box ever since. After I finished making them I gave Carlos a bite to test them. His response: "Wow, these are good! What are they? White cake and graham cracker? Caramel?" Yeah, apparently the recipe that I meticulously followed didn't call for enough chocolate, since he couldn't taste it AT ALL. Oh well. They tasted good-whatever they were. Carlos says it's a new favorite.

3. PhDs are hard. Really hard. I don't know how so many people do them, or handle having their spouse do one. I knew it wouldn't be anything like the MBA because let's be honest, that's not real grad school (as I frequently told Carlos all throughout his--he now agrees with me), but dang Gina. I really admire all of Carlos' hard work, I don't know how he does it. And I have to say, we have been very blessed so far, it's humbling to see that. Now there is just one more week! One more week and the first semester will be over.

2 comments:

kate said...

Yay for being legal! I'm glad you two survived. And I really miss you! Can I call you tomorrow? P.S. I really need your address :).

Tami Allred said...

I can't even imagine being in that mob seen. Crazzzzzy.
So what's the brownie recipe?
Have a lovely Christmas.