Here are several of our pictures from our exciting journey back east! You'll have to put up with my poor photography, as several of these were taken while we were driving along.
We were excited to make it to beautiful green Ohio. We stayed in Akron, which I loved the moment I saw the Panera Bread right next to a Baja Fresh...could life get any better than this? Probably not.
Here is a slightly crooked picture of us in front of the Kirtland Temple. It was wonderful to think about the amazing events that occurred here where the windows of heaven were opened!
This is a view of the temple from just outside of the Sacred Grove. So neat to have a beautiful temple right next to where the restoration began!!! The sister missionaries took us on a tour of the log cabin, and the larger home that Alvin was building for himself and his bride-to-be up until he died. After he died, the other boys finished the house and the whole family moved into it.
Here are a few pictures we took in the Sacred Grove. It's so hard to catch with a camera how beautiful it was, and how strong your feelings are when you're there. It was actually raining when we were there, but we were protected by the trees so we didn't get wet.
After a full day in Palmyra we drove to Albany and spent the night there. The next day was also cold and rainy...so rainy we could hardly see the road. We drove up to Vermont (I've always wanted to go there) to see Sharon, VT--the birthplace of Joseph Smith Jr.
Vermont was absolutely gorgeous...you wouldn't believe how green it was!
It was really cool to see the heavens meeting the earth. We were especially excited to see the sun shine through the clouds (at least a little bit).
We finally made it...alive!!
Here we both are just outside of the beautiful visitor's center. It was amazing, right when you get there you can hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing--coming from the trees. It feels like angels are surrounding you singing in this very sacred place, and really set the tone for our entire visit here. Church historians believe that the small log home where Joseph was born was just in front of this monument, and slightly to the left.
Here is the monument that was actually dedicated by Joseph F. Smith in 1905. The prophet Joseph Smith described himself as a "rough stone," so that's just what the monument was. (Sorry this picture is so dark, you can hardly see Carlos standing at the bottom of it).
This concluded our church history tour, and from here we drove down to our "vacation home" right off of the northern shore above Boston. (alright, it's not really a vacation home, but we sure are treating it as such, as much as we can!!) We really loved the opportunity we had to go to all of these amazing places. You can't help but think of all the sacrifices that the saints had to endure, and how strong their faith had to be! We hope you can all take your families to these very sacred places and enjoy them as much as we did!!
5 comments:
Welcome to blogging! Yay, I'm so glad you've started a blog! I'm adding you to my list of people who I LOVE to stalk online...
Those pictures are great. Isn't that area just wonderful? We're hoping to make it up there sometime while we're here in Nebraska...
I am so glad you finally gave into the pressure. Now we can keep up with all your goings-on. I was just reading about Suzy and Spencer's church history tour. Those really are such sacred places to visit, I am glad you were able to have such a wonderful vacation.
I apologize for the poor formatting!
Alyse,
Hey thanx for the info of your blog. Sounds like you had a fun trip. I wish we had known you were going through here. We live just a bit from palmyra and would have loved to see you two!
love, Charity
so glad you're blogging. (this will be a comment for all of your entries) You look great. If that is your sister hugging your mom in the airport with closed eyes...she looks just like you from the nose up! =)
Also, very jealous you found an all you can eat ice cream extravaganza. That would be amazing!
Glad you could visit all those church history sites. hopefully one day we'll make it out that way to do something like that!
I'll be checking back often!
Post a Comment